tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 17 16:07:06 1995

Klingon in VOX

Much has been appearing in the media of late, and most of that gets
transferred to this list for everyone to pick over.  With the large
amount of stuff here, I am not sure if the following information has been
posted before.  Some of this seemed familiar to me, so if it begins to look
familiar to you, just go on to the next message.

VOX is a Brittish pop magazine.  The March '95 issue has a section on Star
Trek.  They do mention the Bible (in a short list of Trekkie oddities), but
make it sound as if it was done during TOS.  It also has a side-bar
titled Klingon Karaoke.  No explanation of the language, it just dives
right in to some translated songs.  Translations by Alexander T. Greene.
(Do we know him?)  The orthographic mistakes (which I believe to be the
fault of the type setter, not the translator) are copied and they used a
sans serif font so there's one letter that I couldn't tell if it was an I
or l (doesn't matter, neither fits there).  Although I see some errors
and made-up words, Mr. Greene seems to have a pretty good grasp of the
grammar.  But I leave it to others to comment on specifics.

1) Hogh rIn ram va va va va va     Saturday Night Di Di Di Da Da (Whigfield)
Hogh rIn ram SoH rur tujcho Hlaw' Mud
                            Saturday night, I feel the air is getting hot
Bangoy                      Like you, baby
SoH qaghajchoHmoH'e' DaSov  I'll make you mine you know
SalvuSDaq qatlhej           I'll take you to the top
qamaw'choHmoH               I'll drive you crazy

2) YotlhDaq yIn       Parklife (Blur)
Chammo' tlhetlh 'oHbe DochlIj'e' DaSov
                      It's not about your Vorsprung durch technic you know
GhoHeDaq Sulengbogh qetwI'pu' tlhIHbe' Doch'e'je
                      And it's not about you joggers who go round and round

3) Do nom law' chuS nom puS      Supersonic (Oasis)
Elsa' ponglu'bogh be'Hom vISov   I know a girl called Elsa
Poq Hergh parHa' parHa' ghaH     She's into Alka-Selzer
LupwI'ghomDaq Do nom law' chuS nom puS naQHom lo'bogh ghIchDajDaq Qay
                         She sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train

4) Seng                     Trouble (Shampoo)
Qu'vatlh masengchoH         Uh-oh we're in trouble
Paw vay' 'ej moQmaj Qaw'ta  Something's come along and it's burst our bubble

5) VuS pagh                         There's No Limit (2 Unlimited)
Ghobe' ghobe' ghobe' ghobe' ghobe'  No no no no no no no no no no
Ghobe' vuS tu'lu'be'                There's no limit

Hope you enjoyed this little jaunt into the popular media.

janSIy

Back to archive top level