tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 09 09:48:17 1995

Re: A thought

[email protected] (Bill Willmerdinger) writes:
\ Of course.  I keep forgetting about the real status of {'e'}.  And, while
\ {qatlh} is a question word and not an adverbial, the same positioning holds
\ true.

Actually, {qatlh} is one of the {chuvmey}.  "Question word" and "adverbial"
are subcategories of the {chuvmey} imposed by xenolinguists and not used by
Klingon linguists :)

Seriously, though, it is listed in TKD as a question word, but "question word"
is a vague description that identifies only the semantic role.
Since {qatlh} asks a question that is answered by an adverbial and serves the
same syntactic role as an adverbial, I don't think it's invalid to say that it
is, in fact, an adverbial.  It is at worst a minor imprecision.  Of course,
you could just make more precise subcategories of "question word", and say
that {chay'}, {ghorgh}, {nuqDaq}, and {qatlh} are all "adverbial
question words", while {nuq} and {'Iv} are "pronomial question words".

IMESHO.

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level