tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 08 10:01:04 1995

Re: A thought

According to Silauren, Half-Elven:

> On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, William H. Martin wrote:
> > According to Bill Willmerdinger:
>
> > > muparHa' pagh; mumuS Hoch; gharghmey vISop 'e' qatlh vIruchQo'.
>
> > Well, it is a question, yet it ends with a period.
>
> sorry to nitpick, charghwI', but this is Klingon, after all.  stuff like
> question marks, periods, commas, etc, are imposed by our own
> punctuation.

If you don't want to use question marks, then why do you use
periods? In TKD, there is no indication of use of punctuation
at all. On the Skybox trading cards and the card that comes
with the Power Klingon audio tape, punctuation is used. I think
it is fine to use punctuation or not, but some consistency is
best.

Can I ask you a question. If I am writing in English, isn't it
true that most of the time you can tell it is a question by the
wording. Why should I bother with question marks in English.
Are they usually necessary.

See my point? If you are going to use punctuation at all, then
use it. If not, then don't. Putting a period at the end of a
question is simply bad form. Either put a question mark, or
nothing at all, but don't put a period.

> --naQ'avwI'

charghwI'
--