tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 08 09:42:55 1995

Re: nI'

According to [email protected]:

> > loDnI' & be'nI'
>
> We can't stop here:  SoSnI' = grandmother; vavnI' = grandfather
>
> Thus, -nI' may not mean sibling.  It "feels" to me more like some close kin,
> but not every close kin.  If it is related to "long," it is an extension of
> kinship that does not apply to all forms of kinship.

Or, then again, it might just be a syllable arbitrarily chosen
to add to certain specific words indicating one kind of
familial link to convert it into another kind of familial link.
One cannot guess the cause or reason behind the finished
construct when the link is so remote from obvious. Like many
Klingon words (like noH or ram), the noun and verb forms may
have nothing to do with each other.

The fact remains that {nI'} alone does not exist as a noun, and
as an addition to a noun, it does not consistently alter the
meaning in a predictable way. If it were consistent, loDnI'
would probably be an uncle instead of a grandfather.

So instead of working so hard trying to figure out what the
pieces of the words might mean, why not just do what a Klingon
child does and learn the words for what they mean?

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \