tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 11:47:54 1995

Re: }}} Paintball Terms

>Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 09:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Elizabeth C. Hoyt" <[email protected]>

>A new subject line, a clean slate.

>Someone, I think it was Lawrence, used {qepHey} for "Virtual qep'a'", so
>how about calling the game of paintball {may'Hey}? (I think that has a
>nice ring to it.)

Yeah, that's pretty good.  Especially in context, when people knew awhat
you were referring to.  I like it.

>I think {may'qoq} would describe a battle that wasn't really much of a
>battle, rather than a simulated one.

I agree.

>I just looked (rather quickly) through TKD, and the only word for a
>projectile I can find is {peng} (torpedo). Perhaps the word for the
>paintball itself could be {pengHomHey} with the plural being
>{pengHommeyHey} (I just wanted to practice my suffix ordering.)

Hee... The joys of suffixes.  I imagine in context you could probably get
away with just "peng", though "pengHom" might be better.  In a sense it
really *is* a pengHom, but since it doesn't truly damage the -Hey is not
misplaced.

Hmm.  Maybe we're extending the meaning of -Hey too much.  -Hey seems to
imply more uncertainty than "being sortakinda", if you read its definition.
Personally, I'd *like* it if we could use -Hey as you're using it, and I
think I have done so.  There also may be some canon supporting it.  I think
I'll tentatively support such usage, hoping we get some canon support.
Anyone know of any?

~mark

Back to archive top level