tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 11:18:43 1995

Re: }}} Dialects (was: Klingon paintball)

>Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 00:33:09 -0500
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>By the way, it's common practice here to simply drop in a word or two in
>English when the dictionary fails.  An untranslatable food name isn't
>always cause for another Klingon word.

Damn straight it isn't.  What's the English word for "Fajita"?  Or "Huevos
Rancheros"?  There isn't one.  Do we then decide we should call them
"Relams"?  No, we simply use the Spanish words in English (we don't even
change the spelling).  As a convenience, it's nice to mark them as foreign,
with italics or asterisks or something, at least in Klingon, so we know not
to bother looking things up.

~mark

Back to archive top level