tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 25 15:41:36 1995

Re[2]: }}} Victory Song / battle cry

On Tues July 25, 1995 "Mark E. Shoulson" wrote:

>>On Tues July 25, 1995 [email protected] (Jim Boniface) at Internet wrote:

>>snip
>>>which reminds me, if anyone can think of a slogan to put under the trefoil
>>>in tlhIngan Hol I could use some suggestions)

>>How about:

>>   taS boSop 'ej SuHeghqu'

>>It's the closest I could come to "Eat Paint & Die!"

>It's not that close.  It's just indicative: "You eat paint, and you
>*die*." I don't see any command in that anywhere.  Do you mean "taS yISop
>'ej peHeghqu'", perhaps?  Don't forget your PREfixes! :)

NO!  It is not a command.  That's why I did not use the imperitive PREfixes.
This is an emphatic statement.  Thus the correct PREfixes and suffix were used.

>It's also a pretty weird translation.  "taS" is any liquid solution.  I'd
>probably consider most beverages "taS"... I don't see what drinking and
>death have in common.

First, you can not read.  It says "eat liquid", not drink.  And if you don't
know what drinking and death have in common, call Alcoholics Anonymous.

>It looks to me like you're trying to translate the pun of English "Eat
>paint and dye!"  That's funny in English... but is about as funny (or
>sensible) in Klingon as the sentences "A gardener grew wheat in the garden.
>Big wheat grew in the garden" are tongue-twisters in English (they are in
>Hebrew, but you know what?  puns and tongue-twisters don't translate).  Or
>how about this howler: "What starts with a Z and ends with a Q and only men
>have it?  A beard!"  And they say jokes don't translate.

I believe this was for a paintball team, correct?  I think they'll understand an
American pun.

>Me, I'd be more confused than insulted by a tagline like that...

Well, the request was not made by you...

>~mark

r'Hul

Back to archive top level