tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 30 09:13:17 1995

Re: (n) orbit?

According to A.Appleyard:

> HoD trI'Qal <[email protected]> wrote:-
>
> > ... <bav> means "to orbit". Notice it does *not* mean "to be in orbit", as
> > you translated here ...
>
> But surely, if X is orbiting Y, then X is in orbit round Y??? It seems that
> state verbs and action verbs merge indefinitely into each other.

When I hear "X orbits Y", I see a moving image of X DOING
something. That is very Klingon.

When I hear "X is in orbit around Y", I see a still photograph
of X and Y with a magic marker line forming an elipse around Y
which intersects X. Not a very Klingon image.

While it is true that stative verbs have their place in the
Klingon language, it takes a human to take a perfectly good
active verb and try to transmogrify it into a stative one. This
perverse activity often results in very bad writing, thus
stubborn attempts to use the verb {bav} as an adjectival,
despite an impressive roster of Klingonists who have been
willing to repeatedly explain why it is wrong, despite the
excellent explanations that were given and ignored earlier.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \