tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 27 14:00:00 1995

RE: "English"

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995 ADM::[email protected] wrote:

> > > Has anyone considerd the perhaps too sensible solution: "'englIS"?
> >
> > one problem:  there is no canon instance of *<'englIS>* in any known
> > klingon text. etc...
>
> My point here was to express the word "English" as a Klingon might hear/
> pronounce it, not to suggest a new word. Mea culpa for the "canon fodder".

that's fine, but i still vote strongly against using transliterated words
in Klingon sentences.  you wanna do it, fine, but be careful how you use it.

> I think this was the point I tried to make: that we're dealing with an
> untranslatable word. When Klingons say or hear the word "English", something
> like "'englIS" MAY BE what flashes in their brain.*  The important thing here
> is not so much WHAT we call it, but that others know what we're talking about.

exactly -- which is why i don't suggest transliteration, unless Okrand
makes it canon.  example:

vrI'De' ponglu' DaHjaj.

if i don't tell anyone that the above sentence includes a
transliteration, people could spend hours looking through lists of canon
sources looking for the meaning of <vrI'De'>.

if you must transliterate, then mark your transliterations with an * or
something, so we can easily see that a word isn't supposed to be found in
any Klingon vocabulary.  example:

*vrI'De' ponglu' DaHjaj.                    *vrI'De' = Friday

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level