tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 26 00:51:01 1995

Re: (n) orbit?

Someone wrote:-
> If we stretch just a little, we might try to use {bav} as an adjective.
> {bav} = (v) orbit, be an orbit ** proposed extension to definition
> Then {He bav} would do just fine without needing an entirely new word.

Mark Shoulson replied:-
> "to orbit" and "to be an orbit" are vastly different concepts. I see that
> you're trying to get something like "bavbogh He".  ...

{Doy' puq} = "the child is tired",  {puq Doy'} = "tired child". Thus,
{bav Duj}  = "the ship is in orbit", {Duj bav} = "ship which is in orbit".

This reversing of word order between these 2 constructions, plus a fair amount
of individual verbs that <can> be used as nouns, seems to allow complimentary
ambiguous pairs like:-
{qum qeS} = V N "the advice governs"
            N V "a government which is advising [someone]"
{qeS qum} = V N "an advice which governs"
            N V "the government is advising [someone]"

Back to archive top level