tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 01:14:02 1995

Re: About {pong}

On Sat, 21 Jan 1995, HoD trI'Qal wrote:

> form of apposition?).  Anyway, this is the way I would solve the problem:
>
> 	ghaHvaD "George" vIpong.

i like this a lot.  this to me makes much sense.

> This, I think has been the majour argument *against* this form... that it
> uses the 'indirect object' construction.  But, I think this is a
> perfectly valid use for -vaD.  Why?  because -vaD is NOT defined in terms
> of how it is used with indirect objects... it is defined as "for,
> intended for".  Ie, that whatever it is attached to is the intended
> recipient of the verb.  Now, when I say "We name our dog Max", I doubt
> anyone here is going to doubt that that the *dog* is the intended
> recipient of the sentence (Just as if I said "I give the god a bone"...
                                                           ^^^
hrm.... somehow i doubt that was intentional, but damned i wish it was!!!

> the recipient is still the dog, right?).  Okay, so then, if -vaD goes on
> the intended recipient, and the intended recipient is still the dog...
> why can't I say:
>
> 	targhvaD "Max" wIpong
>
> Comments?  Linguists?  (Nick?  ~mark?)
>
> (I'm sure I left a few loopholes a mile wide in that logic... let's see
> 'em guys!)

looks good to me... personally i find it more a matter of style than
anything else.  whether i say <naQ'avwI' mupong tlhInganpu'> or
<jIHvaD *Silauren* lupong *elf*pu'> seems to me to amount to the same
thing:  a construction that should make sense to nearly any <tlhIngan
jatlhwI'>, telling them that certain people know me by certain names.
*shrug*

> --HoD trI'Qal

just my .02.....

--naQ'avwI'

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchugh "[email protected]"Daq jabbI'IDmeylIj yIngeH
*&* Silauren, Half-Elven      *&* Jeremy  Greene *&*   There's only ONE god!
*&* [email protected]     *&*  Don't drop acid.  *&* He is the SUN god!!
*&* [email protected]       *&* Take it Pass/Fail. *&* Ra! Ra!! RA!!!
*&* "Get in there, you big furry oaf! I don't care what you smell!" -Han Solo

Back to archive top level