tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 18 14:26:49 1995

Re: "HolQeD" 3:4

>Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 08:40:12 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>

>[email protected] writes:
>\ > "I speak Klingon better than you."
>\ > {tlhIngan Hol jatlhmeH, jIH po' law', SoH po' puS}
>\ > We do have canon for unprefixed {-meH} clause verbs, tho I wouldn't trust
>\ > them in all cases.
>\
>\ I still prefer something like:
>\ tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu' 'ach Dajatlhlaw' neH.
>And it also avoids the issue of using pronouns with law'/puS.  Are there
>any canonical examples of such?  If the construction is really using the
>noun-noun possessive, then shouldn't it be {po'wIj} instead of {jIH po'}?

Just to lay this one to rest again.  We *did* ask Okrand about this one.
And we presented him with "*jIpo' law' bIpo' puS" *and* "jIH po' law' SoH
po' puS" *and* "*po'wIj law' po'lIj puS".  Yes, I thought of that as well.
The answer is that "jIH po' law' SoH po' puS" is correct.  All hail Okrand.

~mark

Back to archive top level