tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 17 18:07:20 1995

KLBC: lutwIj wa'DIch

1|    puqloD ghajpu' loD
2|    yoHchoH puqloD 'e' ghojmoHta' loD
3|    Suv puqloD 'e' jhohmoHta' loD je
4|    puqloDvaD SuvtaHvIS Qapla' potlh law' Hoch potlh puS ja'pu' loD
5|    DuSaQ tayDaq ghol qipmeH nuH Hat lo'pu' puqloD
6|    naDHa'pu' ghaH
7|    potlhbej Qapla' 'ach batlh potlh law' Hoch potlh puS jatlh loD
lughpu'chugh

- - - - -

Here are some thoughts I had about my story:

- - -

In line 2 I wanted to express "The man taught his son to be brave."  I used:

     yoHchoH puqloD 'e' ghojmoHta' loD
     "The son becomes brave, the man taught that."

I'm not 100% satisfied with this.  I had originally written:

     yoHmeH puqloD ghaH ghojmoHta' loD
     "In order that the son be brave, the man taught him."

One problem with this is that I could not find an example of a purpose
clause that had an explicit subject.  I guess I could of used:

     yoHmeH puqloD ghojmoHta' loD
     "In order that he be brave, the man taught the son."

thought it's not necessarily clear who is being brave.

- - -

In line 4 I used the construction:

     <puqloDvaD> blah-blah-blah <ja'pu' loD>"
     "The man told the son, "blah-blah-blah".

The use of <puqloDvaD> would seem to be supported by TDK 6.8 since "the
son" in the English version is an indirect object.

- - -

A couple of other question I encoundered along the way:

1) With the A Q <law'> B Q <puS>, TKD says you can use <Hoch> in the "B"
position -- meaning "A" is most "Q".  Can you also use <Hoch> in the "A"
position -- meaning "B" is least "Q"?

2) In the dictionary there are some words defined that seem to already have
a suffix. (e.g. <ghojmoH> -- to teach).  Are such words deemed to be one
word or
are they, in fact, a root with a suffix?  That is would "be willing to
teach" be *<ghojmoHqang> or *<ghojqangmoH>?  The latter -- which I feel is
most likley to be correct -- seems to present a problem.  I would read <puq
ghojqangmoh> as
"He makes the child willing to learn" not (necessarily) as "He is willing
to teach the child".  Perhaps in Klingon we must use context in cases like
this.

choQaHchugh qatlho'

Qeygh

Back to archive top level