tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 16 15:04:08 1995

Re: bav

>Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 11:45:28 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>>Isn't "orbit" as a definition of {bav} a way of succinctly expressing
>>a verb meaning "to move around"? Even English dictionaries list "to
>>travel in circles" as a meaning of "orbit." Is there anything wrong
>>with saying {qach vIbavlI'}, "I am orbiting the building; I am walking
>>around the building," or {nom qach vIbavlI'} "I am running around the
>>building"? Or is {bav} identical in meaning to "orbit," in that it
>>implies circular motion _in_space_?

>The word "orbit" strongly implies movement of *planets* in *space.* My take
>is that if you said {qach vIbav} it would be understood, but it would sound
>very figurative.

I'm not completely sure I agree, tho I have no more backing than I suspect
you have.  I suggested qach vIbav a while ago, tho the mail was lagged in
getting here.  I think it doesn't sound so bad, tho it doesn't say how I
went around the building... on foot?  by car?

Whatever.  Just my .02 DeQmey: I would support qach vIbav.

>Guido

~mark

Back to archive top level