tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 06 17:48:50 1995

Re: qechmeywIj on learning a language

> In teaching the language, has anyone ever used the technique of
> introducing ideas/phrases as a way of instructing?  (Rather than learning
> straight vocabulary, then grammar, then putting the two together)
>
> I've noticed (in my own education also) that grammar is rather sticky.
> Many student problems in translation come from trying to take an idea in
> their native language, looking at the words, translating the words, then
> failing in communicating the idea fully.
>
> -------------
> chuQun

On those rare occassions when I am teaching Klingon it is usually to a
Klingon fan group. Most of them own the dictionary and have a mild to
intense interest.  I start out by giving them a sheet with about a dozen
nouns and a dozen verbs on it.  We make simple OVS sentences for a while,
just to get them comfortable.

Usually I also have a few suffixes on the sheet.  For example, the last
lesson I gave was a bit advanced. The students were presented with
several Type 9 verbal suffixes (e.g., -chugh, -DI') and some sample
complex sentences in both Klingon and English.  These sentences were
extensions of the ones we'd started with earlier in the evening, and were
available for handy reference on the page.  Further, the sheet contained
the two component phrases, neatly broken down for the students.

I find this makes for a manageable chunk of learning, teaches vocabulary,
provides a fun and interesting context, and eases them into some of the
finer parts of grammar in a more naturalistic way.

At least, it works for me.

Qapla'

Lawrence

--

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level