tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 06 13:57:47 1995

Re: Further Klingon

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, chuQun wrote:
> [Dream: TKD 3rd ed.]
>
> The KLI has the drive, the loDpower, the time, and the need to greatly
> expand the Klingon language. ... Obviously Okrand doesn't have this
> kind of stamina, and there is a *big* demand for more tlhIngan Hol.

I agree that I would like to see more (including a TKD 3rd ed.) and that
Okrand does not give us as much as we want.  I can also see the
importance of taking the Institutes conservative stance of not doing ANY
creating (just reporting and debate).

> ... it's like all the students of tlhIngan Hol are on their knees in
> patient supplication, offering up many and various prayers, (by way of
> the High Priest Lawrence) to the mighty god Okrand, in hopes that the
> busy god just might answer their questions once in a while.

Not at all!  Although the humans on this list portray it that way, it's
really much more like:

Okrand is a great weaponsmith.  He has given us many wonderful weapons.
We thrill in learning how to use his weapons, but there are some things
that are difficult to do with the necessarily limited weapons he has
given us.  We pressure him to make new weapons and we celebrate when he
gives us one.  But we also thrill in trying to learn how to use the
weapons he HAS given us to do the things that seemed impossible.  If the
humans would stop complaining about the lack of weapons, we could get
down to training ourselves to use the ones we have to fight this "battle
of language".

janSIy  }}:+D>

Back to archive top level