tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 06 10:40:09 1995

TKD3 & other expansions was Re: Big time exciting KLI news

Bringing up the subject, if the KLI is authorized by Okrand and Paramount
to expand >tlhIngan Hol<, then we *really* have what we wanted, huh?

Time for *everyone* to go study the history of the creation of Esperanto
if you aren't already familiar with that.  Cross reference Esperantido,
Ido, ....,  Volapu"k, etc.  Mario Pei had a book or two about the
artificial languages that is in most public libraries for you lurkers,
non-linguists and avocational armchair linguists (like me).

It is *very* important that we learn from Esperanto's history how *not*
to go about this.  Because if we do it *right*, one might find 80 years
from now that Klingon is used for things we never dreamed of!  If we do
it wrong, we'll have about 20 other Proechel argumentor types to deal
with.  Let's make sure we keep the thing unified!

Aside:  This also means that it will become time to create etymologies of
words and a history of the language.  I'm hoping for archaic sounds to
come out, like maybe >f<, >G< and >R< as the second component in a
diphthong....  (You know, and these vocalic R's disappear as in New
Englander speech?)  Or at least some mechanism to legitimize >worf<.  :-)
(That real bastard of problems....)

Dave.

<[email protected]>     >tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?<  "Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager                operate in a vacuum, can
Wake Forest University Department of Physics       I at least have a little
Box 7261 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?"

Back to archive top level