tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 18:43:43 1995

Re: First Klingon Word

Fri, 29 Dec 1995, ghItlh 'etlhqengwI':

> bIDo'bej SoH!  Dochmey teH DaghojmoH
> paQDI'norghvam lubepDI' tera'gnan 'e' nuq bIjatlh'a'
>
> (You are fortunate!  You teach true things.
> When Terrans object to these teachings, what do you say?)

{paQDI'norgh} appears to be an inherently plural noun, like {ray'} and
{chuyDaH}, so the {lu-} prefix probably isn't necessary.
You can drop the {'e'} because the first part is a subordinate clause and
not a complete sentence; {'e'} is only used to connect complete sentences.
When you use {nuq}, it makes the sentence a question, so you
don't use {-'a'} with it.  Also, {nuq} is the object of the verb {jatlh}, so
you would use {vI-} instead of {bI-}.  Lastly, as a stylistic note, I would
would use {-lu'} for "you" since you are not really specifically addressing
one of us, but rather you appear to be making a retorical question
addressed to no one in particular:
paQDI'norghvam bepDI' tera'ngan nuq jatlhlu'?

> 'etlhqengwI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level