tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 24 12:44:10 1995

Re: Web pages

>The Ballad is really good.  I downloaded it and reposted it in
>our Star Trek discussion group, with your name prominently displayed.  I
>haven't scrutinized the Klingon yet, but the English is impressive enough.
>I like the way you give the narrator a quirky personality (and a thing for
>Kira).  And you weren't afraid to invent details, like the generator
>falling on Klank's head.

Thanks for your comments.  I'm glad you got a chance to look it over, and
that you approve.  The narrator's attraction for Kira is purely reflective
of my own.  (Check out the Top Ten List).

>Has anyone analysed the Klingon for you?

Not really, but some recent comments relating to other work gives me a clue
as to why.  Someone (and I can't remember who) made the comment that
analysing poetic pieces for grammatical content is difficult, since meter
and rhyme have to be taken into account.  I can see the point.  The only
reason I put the story into the form of a song is that my original
inspiration was a song (Klanks ditty).  Otherwise, I am much more
comfortable with prose.

 >Are you doing any more Klingon things?  After a couple of years of thinking
>about Klingon it seems to me that the thing it's best suited for is
>stories about space missions.

I have one or two ideas that I am thinking about, but I haven't written
anything solid yet.  You certainly have a point with the space missions
idea.  Just trying to write about day to day life can be difficult.  We
seem to have to coin too many words.

>I'm up to episode 045 in DRG, and plan to continue to
>065.  In the latest one I featured three blues songs by Maltz: a Klingon
>version of Robert Johnson's "Cross Road Blues", and two you could call "No
>qagh Blues" and "Maltz's Blues".  I'm working on a version of George
>Formby's "When I'm Cleaning Windows" for 046, called "When I'm Running
>Windows":
>                The gifs I've found are quite a joy
>                Natasha Yar is not a boy
>                And neither is Deanna Troi
>                When I'm running Windows.

I'm really looking forward to reading more DRG.  You have a great talent
for humorous writing (and your tlhingan-Hol seems pretty good, as well).

>Anyway, best of luck for the New Year and Merry Christmas!
>
>Douglas

Happy Holidays!

Anthony Curran

qo'ran