tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 17 21:38:38 1995

Re: Crispin's Klingon

qaSDI' Hovjaj 95959.4 ghItlh Holtej

>> First, from the Acknowledgments:
>>
>>      Marc Okrand, for inventing words and phrases in
>>      Klingonese when I needed them. Thanks, Marc. Now
>>      I know what to say if I ever make love to a Klingon!
[. . .]
>> lam be'        "Silence, you lam be'!"
>
>Now this is puzzling.  /lam be'/ is "(the) female is dirty."  But it
>looks like it's being used as an epithet here.  If it was supposed to
>be "dirty woman", then it'd be /be' lam/, but this would apparently be
>an idiomatic use of the word "dirty".  I think we should just chalk
>this up to a miscommunication between Okrand and the author.

Well, I think the only communication between Okrand and the author was the
fact that Okrand wrote The Klingon Dictionary.  The acknowledgement for
Okrand is only that he invented the language, not that he did any advising
for this book.  I would not accept any of these words as true additions to
Klingon vocabulary!

[. . .]
>Many of the spelling errors look like mistakes in reading a sans serif
>font, like in the back of TKD.  Most just show inexperience with the
>language.  But it's nice that this author made the effort.

I agree with this, and I agree even stronger with my thanks to tlheghmeQ for
going to this trouble!

SuStel
Hovjaj 95959.6

Back to archive top level