tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 16 08:29:56 1995

Re: Crispin's Klingon

On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, tlheghmeQ wrote:

> ------------------
> Well, I couldn't get to sleep last night until I'd gone through _Sarek_
> and written down all the tlhIngan Hol--so here it is:

Qu'vam Data'mo' qatlho'!

> First, from the Acknowledgments:
>
>      Marc Okrand, for inventing words and phrases in
>      Klingonese when I needed them. Thanks, Marc. Now
>      I know what to say if I ever make love to a Klingon!

We know we're in trouble when someone says "Klingonese".

> chal        a flower

Hmmm, we already have /chal/ (n). "Sky."

> be'joy      torture-by-women

  This should probably be /joy'/, since we have /joy'/ (v). "Torture."

> Ha'Dlbah   "Let me kill this Ha'Dlbah now!"

Obviously /Ha'DIbaH/.  *sigh*

> HoHwi       name of a ship

/HoHwI'/.  Also the name of my pet targh on the MUSH.  {{:)

> Hoh'egh     "Attacking the Starfleet is Hoh'egh."

/HoH'egh/ is the verb, "commit suicide".  Its use as a noun in the
English here is almost certainly in error.

> 'Iwoy        dear-blood

Didn't someone recently say they saw /'Iw'oy/ somewhere?  Or is this
where this whole discussion came from?

> TengchaH Jav   name of a spaceport

"Space station number six", with obvious spelling errors.

> veQ-nuj        "I had to let those veQ-nuj handle me. I'm sorry now I just
>                 didn't kill them."

Hmm, "garbage mouth."  I'm going to assume from the hyphen that we can
take this as a compound.  Say, ghunchu'wI', do you interpret this as a
possessive?

> maghwl'        "Halt now, or we will kill this female maghwl'!"

/maghwI'/, (n). "Traitor."

> lam be'        "Silence, you lam be'!"

Now this is puzzling.  /lam be'/ is "(the) female is dirty."  But it
looks like it's being used as an epithet here.  If it was supposed to
be "dirty woman", then it'd be /be' lam/, but this would apparently be
an idiomatic use of the word "dirty".  I think we should just chalk
this up to a miscommunication between Okrand and the author.

> BaHwil         name of a ship

/baHwI'/.  "Gunner."

Many of the spelling errors look like mistakes in reading a sans serif
font, like in the back of TKD.  Most just show inexperience with the
language.  But it's nice that this author made the effort.

> tlheghmeQ

juquvmoH, tlheghmeQ!  qatlho'qu'qa'!

--Holtej

Back to archive top level