tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 15 05:02:18 1995

Re: KLBC: Win 95 "Klingon-ized"

yoDtargh writes:
>...In HolQeD 4.2, Okrand compared the construction
>to the Marx Brothers joke, "I just shot an elephant in my pajamas...",
>and said it is a joke which works in Klingon as well as in English
>due to the dual meaning of the sentence.  (It's equally ambiguous in both
>languages.)

Okay, this blows my complaint out of the water.  The sentence
{Qo'noSDaq qagh Sop SuvwI' Hoch} indeed is ambiguous; both of
the interpretations are grammatical.  "All warriors eat worms
on Kronos" and "On Kronos, all warriors eat worms" both work.