tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 12 22:33:02 1995

Re: Proverb

Tue, 12 Dec 1995, ghItlh taghqIj:

> I was thinking about that old proverb, 'Give a man a fish and you feed
> him for a day; teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime' the
> other day, and then I thought of an interesting Klingon variation which
> came out as:
>
> tera'nganvaD Ha'DIbaH Danobchugh, DaHjaj Daje'nISbe'qa'.

maj.

> SoH DaHoHchugh, not DanuQqa'.

Here, {SoH} should be {ghaH}.  And {not DanuQqa'} means "you never bother
him again".  You probably meant {not munuQqa'} (he never bothers you again).

This is a case where the indefinite subject {-lu'} could be used for
"you" (meaning "one" or "anyone"):

tera'nganvaD Ha'DIbaH noblu'chugh, DaHjaj je'nISbe'qa'lu'.
(If one gives meat to a Terran, one does not need to feed him again today.)
ghaH HoHlu'chugh not vay' nuQqa' ghaH.
(If one kills him, he never bothers anyone again.)

> taghqIj

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level