tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 12 09:27:22 1995

Re: [What, me worry?]

[Quoting David Wood]

> s> From: [email protected] (shadow)
> s> To: [email protected]
> s> Subject: Translation request
> s> Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>
> s> How would one translate, "What, me worry?"
>
> s> OK, maybe not a great literary quote, but I'm curious.
>
>      ThatÕs okay; when working with a new language, we have to consider the
> mundane and inane as well as the momentus and historic.
>      There are two tricky problems though.
>      #1: The phrase is idiomatic to English, and will only go into radically
> different languages with much kicking and screaming.

It must be something idiomatic that I've never seen before. I'm unable
to give the sentence (?) "What, me worry?" a good translation/meaning
that actually means something. What is this supposed to mean
anyway...?

>      #2: The TKD doesnÕt have words for Òto fear,Ó Òto worry,Ó or Òto be
> afraid.Ó This surprises me, since those would be the perfect words to use to
> describe enemies. This also makes any kind of translation difficult, idiomatic
> or no. ÒTo panicÓ and Òto dismayÓ ARE listed, but are also not totally
> appropriate.

Don't forget the verb suffix -nIS (I believe that was it) meaning
afraid or being afraid (to).

>      As a bonus, hereÕs another bit of Terran pop culture you might want to look
> up in your phrasebooks:
>
>      HIchop ngotlhwIÕHom           (Bite me, fanboy!)

Doesn't ay me anything as well. Must be the fact that English is not
my native language....

Qapla'
peSHIr

--