tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 22:09:23 1995

You've made your bed...

vanya wrote about making your bed. I missed this the first time around, so
either it's real old or was on while I was kicked off my old account...
I disagree with r'Hul's translation. The English phrase has a somewhat
pejorative sense; you've done one action, so now you must follow through,
though you may not wish to. Withdrawing a handgun from a holster can in and
of itself be the final act (coming from someone like me, it serves as a darn
fine deterrent...) and so a shot is not a needed next step. Alternatively,
in a situation in which I would advise my students to draw, shooting would
then be a desired next step and not one taken reluctantly. Except in ery
specific situations, I can't see that this translation carries the smae
connotations as the original "You've made your bed."

Althea, proud owner of the Klingon Glock 17, HichwIj

Back to archive top level