tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 10 18:40:46 1995

Re: Listowner's Rant (Re: Real Audio, the Universe, and Everything)

>And who loses? Naturally, the little people, the few folks remaining who
>do things because it's a good deed, or because they like to teach, or share,
>who do things because they're fun. Anyone whose entire existence isn't
>centered around squeezing the last penny out of everyone and everything
>around them.

  Couple of quick notes.  I am a sysadmin for a company that does Real Audio
on Demand programming.
As a side efect of this, I'm also required to survey the competitive
products.  Right now, the only one that is 100% realtime, aside from
RealAudio is DSPG's truespeech, which is a new wave file algo.  Look it over
at www.dspg.com.  The encoder for this is even included in Win95, though I
think they still lack a Mac player.
  Real Audio also has a free "personal" server which only allows one
outbound stream, if you're willing to rebuild that bridge.

  You might also wish to look at Internet Wave, from the Internet Phone
people.  URL escapes me.
---
http://www.io.com/~plaid -- Plaid Rabbit Productions.
Kibitzer for DIGEST GROUP PUBLICATIONS