tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 10 11:26:29 1995

Re: Colors? What colors?

qaSDI' Hovjaj 95937.3 ghItlh Bill Willmerdinger:

> uu> I guess I was considering these in their adjectival role, following
> uu> the noun, with each verb acting to modify the previous noun phrase.  So
> uu> {nav SuD wov} would be a "bright, blue/green/yellow paper" and not a
> uu> "bright blue/green/yellow paper".  Is my distinction clear?  I don't
>
>jIyaj, but I don't think you can do that (at least, I recall no canon that
>supports it).

I do not think so either.  TKD section 4.4 says "A verb expressing a state or
quality can be used immediately following a noun to modify that noun."
 Having two descriptive verbs means one of them will not immediately follow
the noun.

Of course, this is vague enough that Okrand may decide to use it the other
way at some point, but either way we'll have a canon example.

SuStel
Hovjaj 95939.2

Back to archive top level