tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 08 11:28:10 1995

Re: {-bogh} vs {-meH}

>Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 07:32:02 -0800
>From: Chester Braun <[email protected]>

>> > Qatlhbe' pong
>> > Qatlh pong 'e' mojlI'
>> >                ^^^^^^
>> >
>> > (boy I hope this turned out right!)
>>
>> Well, unfortunately you lost *me*.  I was trying to say was "My
>> family would APPARENTLY disagree" - referring humorously to my
>> three-syllable <tlhIgnan pong>.  From the first part of your reply, I
>> get "[the or a] name is not difficult".  The second part is where I
>> am not certain.  Are you saying "The name is becoming difficult" ?
>>

>HIja'

>I figured out what you were saying without too much of a problem.
>I was trying to say that more than two syllables is not always difficult it is
>just becoming difficult.

If that's what was meant, it wasn't said right.  Using "'e'" makes the
whole SENTENCE the object of the next sentence.  So you have "It's becoming
the name is difficult."  It's hard to become a whole clause.  Consider
something like "QatlhchoHlI' pong", that's probably best.

~mark

Back to archive top level