tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 07 19:50:30 1995

Re: {-bogh} vs {-meH}

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Chester Braun wrote:

> I pretty much understand what your saying but only confused on one point.
> I assummed that creating new words was forbidden.  It seems a fine line
> between creating a proper name for an individual thing and a word for an entire
> group of things.  Creating a word, such as {ghortaj}, for battle ax seems on
> the same order as {betleH} for a specific kind of {'etlh}.  I get the impression
> that many would love to create a word for a specific thing but I can see how
> it would get totally out of hand.

I'm probably the one who was confused. when you were referring to "names",
I thought you were discussing how to create personal names.  Translating
nouns is a different matter.   I'm not advocating the coining of new
words to translate nouns and I'm not suggesting using {ghortaj} to translate
"battle-axe".  I was merely suggesting using it's use as a personal name.

> QetaH
> (Chet Braun)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level