tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 07 06:59:40 1995

Re: {-bogh} vs {-meH}

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> QetaH writes:
>
> >BTW, as a name can it be run together as in:  HomghormeHtaj ?
>
> Echhh, that's an ugly name.  Aesthetics aside, the answer is NO!
> The only way to make a new noun is to combine nouns, and {ghormeH}
> is a verb.

As a name, it can be whatever he (?) wants.  Grammar rules are out the
window when it comes to names.  I think that's the consensus on this
list.  We are also even willing to set aside normal Klingon phonology,
though we're more resistant to that as a rule.

> Even when you *are* combining nouns, try not to get carried away with
> "seamless" compounds -- anything that makes sense without spaces ought
> to make at least as much sense *with* them.

*sigh* This is the second time recently I've heard you equate compound
nouns with N-N constructions.  (Perhaps 'equate' is too strong...)  But I
really feel they are different.  I think the clearest example of the
potential differences is /'Iwghargh/, which describes a type of worm.
Does this make at least as much sense as /'Iw ghargh/, as you suggest
above?  I don't think so.  Compound nouns and N-N are not the same thing,
you can't measure the acceptability of one by the acceptability of the
other.  They have different purposes, different interpretations, and
different rules.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

--Holtej

Back to archive top level