tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 22:11:25 1995

Re: jatlh qeylIS

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, MR PAUL J COFFEY wrote:

> All:
>
> I would like one of the eminent grammarians here to critique a translation
> if someone would so favor me.
>
> The original:
>   A Klingon's honor is everything.  Conquest, revenge, lust for battle,
> desire for another, family, friends, personal aspirations and personal
> well-being pale before the demands of Honor.
>
> translation:
>      tlhInganvaD Hoch ratlh batlh.

I would say something like:

tlhIngan balth potlh law' Hoch potlh puS.

> poQDI' batlh ramchoH charghlaHghach bortaS may'nongnISghach muSHa'ghach
> qorDu' juppu' ghot ngoQmey ghot ropHa'ghach je

I would use {charghtaHghach} for "conquest", and {may' nongtaHghach} for
"lust for battle".  I don't think {muSHa'ghach} conveys the idea of
"desire for another".  Is desire really a Klingon virtue?

>      qeSmIv HarghwI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level