tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 03 21:30:18 1995

Re: hello.

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> Is this still the copy you are using, or have you obtained the 1992
> edition with the Addendum?  Many useful words are found in the back
> of the "new" TKD.

I've got this one, but there's too many words which are still missing,
eg. near/far which are both said in Power Klingon, but not written
anywhere to my knowledge.

> And Star Trek novels are a poor choice of source material in any case.

Even for a language written specifically for Star Trek? I find that hard
to believe.

> >Looking through the dictoionary, I
> >found words for phaser, photon torpedo, transporter, etc. Then I looked
> >up logic. What the...? There's no word for *logic*?
>
> There aren't words for "egg" or "wheel" or "violin" or "curtain" either.

And just how many times are those words used in Star Trek?

> Exact words aren't that important.  The IDEAS are important.  What does
> "logic" mean to you?  If you couldn't use the word "logic", what would
> you say instead?

No idea. I've always used to word logic whenever I wanted to talk about
logic.

> So logic is the set of rules we use to determine what we know?  The rules
> of knowledge?  {Sov chut}?

Cool! Sounds good to me. Any ideas for logical?

> "The Klingon Dictionary" concerns itself with the Klingon language.  It
> does not concern itself with Star Trek.

I'd say it concerns itself with both, thus the words for phaser,
transporter, warp drive, etc. If it didn't concern itself with Star Trek,
it wouldn't have those words. Plus the fact that it was written for Star
Trek, I'd say that Star Trek terms and phrases would be of primary concern.

> There are people who speak the language who are not Star Trek fans.

I'll have to take your word for this one. It sounds kind of strange to
me, though. After all, where would they have heard about the language if
not from Star Trek? It's not as though there are any book stores that
carry the dictionary in the languages/reference section, at least not to
my knowledge.

> >Completely unrelated to Star Trek: how
> >would I translate "big ugly pink thing" into Klingon?
>
> Some might say {*Kirk}. :-)

Wouldn't that be translated as Qq in Klingon (transliterated Krk
according to chapter 5.6 of TKD)?

> So I'd suggest {Doch tIn moH Doq wov}.

OK, thanks for the tip. L8r.

Back to archive top level