tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 02 13:13:44 1995

Re: KLBC: yIja''egh vIyajbe'

On Thu, 23 Nov 1995, Marc Ruehlaender wrote:

> "TKD" 4.2.1.-Daq "yIja''egh" tu'lu'bogh vIyajbe'
> (I know locatives are not supposed to be part of
> relative clauses - but, well...)

Actually, you can put locatives on relative clauses, we have canon
examples of such.  It's just that you have to use them with care because
the meaning can become ambiguous.

> "figure out for yourself" Hechlu''a'
> (this would be an extension in the meaning of "ja'")
>
> "you tell it, I won't" Hechlu''a'
> (this would be an extension in the meaning of "-'egh"!)
>
> "tell it to yourself, don't bother me" Hechlu''a'
> (this seems to be nonsense)

This is an interesting question.  I'm not sure exactly what this means,
either.  In English, "tell yourself" commonly means, "Don't tell me (what
to do), tell yourself (to do it.)"  If that's what he meant, then I think
{yIra''egh} would be a better choice.

In this case, just from looking at the literal meaning of {yIja''egh} I
would choose your third example as the likely intended meaning.

> 			"Dochlangan" Marc

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level