tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 02 11:15:39 1995

Re: KLBC: Happy New Year

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Kevin A. Geiselman, Knight Errant wrote:

> OK, the city has asked our Klingon group do hang with the crowd in
> downtown Pittsburgh on New Years Eve.  In the publicity they wanted to
> write something in the Klingon language, so I gave them:
>
> DISlIj DuQaQjaj.  (May your year be good to you.)

If you want "your year" to be the subject of "be good", it needs to
follow the verb.  Also, I consider {QaQ} (be good) to be intransitive
because it doesn't make since to say "it goods you".

It would be more grammatical to say: SoHvaD QaQjaj DISlIj.

Another way you could wish someone a happy new year is:
DIS chu' DatIvjaj. (May you enjoy the new year.)

> Kordite

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level