tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 23 05:24:03 1994

KLBC: jItagh

 uu> From: "William H. Martin" <ur-valhalla!jm.acs.virginia.edu!whm2m>

 uu> I can easily rephrase this, "I gave the car to my brother." In
 uu> "They call the wind Mariah," I don't think that "wind" is an
 uu> indirect object. I can't say, "They call Mariah to the wind,"
 uu> and wind up with a clear sentence. It kind of means the same
 uu> thing by one interpretation, but in a sense, it could as much
 uu> have a parallel meaning as, "They call Maria to the telephone,"
 uu> as in, "The airport just paged Mariah."

>From a non-linguist's point of view, it looks like there's some HIDDEN
aposition going on.  "They call the wind Mariah" can be rephrased as "They
give the name 'Mariah' to the wind."

Whether that is of any aid in Hol is another question.

 uu> Great. Now I know what it is not. So what you say it is is a
 uu> Double object verb. Now, I could use a tutorial on double
 uu> object verbs. I think we skirt around it here, but it could use
 uu> a more direct approach.

If we allow aposition, then it's possible to recast (albeit messily) as I did
above.  That is, if *I* understand apposition.    I still don't know what
{pong} as a verb really is.

Qob

Back to archive top level