tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 21 04:47:39 1994

KLBC: prepositional phrases

... and then uucp screamed "KLBC: prepositional phrases" to Bill Willmerdinger
in a fit of rage!
 uu> From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <ur-valhalla!cs.columbia.edu!shoulson>
 >charghwI', add a way of negating a noun to your not-so-short list!

 uu> Negating a *noun*?  Eww.  There's very little that can be said about
 uu> negated nouns, leastways not in general.  What's the negation of
 uu> "book"? At best, a "non-book"; i.e. anything that isn't a book.  Which

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.  Perhaps I was a bit injudicious in my
choice of wording, but a construction like "non-" was what I was thinking
about.  After all, we do a similar thing with {-Ha'} to verbs.

 uu> How do you negate a noun in English?

Well.. probably non-grammatically.  Not being a linguist, I'm kinda the wrong
one to ask.

 uu> A word for"inside" is actually already on my own list,

Nice to know.

 uu> A few other directional/positional words would also be helpful,
 uu> I imagine.

"through" is one I'd like to see.

Qob

... DuHoH 'e' nIDchugh 'oH vaj SopmeH ghaytan QaQ 'oH

Back to archive top level