tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 16 23:42:59 1994

Re: KLBC: prepositional phrases

On Fri, 16 Sep 1994, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
> >Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 17:20:25 EDT
>
> >What about botlh? "Center, middle." Wouldn't that do for
> >"inside"?
>
> Probably not very well.  It might carry things across okay,okay in some
> contexts, but somehow saying "The paperclips are in the middle of the
> spaceship" when in fact they are in a peripheral room doesn't seem ideal.
> Then again, I could se idiom accepting botlh for this purpose.

There may not be a noun for "inside", but there is a verb:  {ngaS}.
I think {mavjopmey ngaS Duj} works reasonably well for "The paperclips
are inside the spaceship."  The subject and object may be reversed from
the way we view the concept in English, but then, I think that adds a
sense of alien charm to the sentence.

> >charghwI'

> ~~mark

yoDtargh