tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 16 13:02:41 1994

Re: KLBC: prepositional phrases

>From: [email protected] (Bill Willmerdinger)
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 22:14:12 -0500

> uu> From: ur-valhalla!vis.mu.oz.au!nsn (Nick NICHOLAS)

> uu> 3. Got me; there's no word for inside.

>Perhaps not, but there *is* a word for "outside": {Hur}.

>Hmmm....

>charghwI', add a way of negating a noun to your not-so-short list!

Negating a *noun*?  Eww.  There's very little that can be said about
negated nouns, leastways not in general.  What's the negation of "book"?
At best, a "non-book"; i.e. anything that isn't a book.  Which would make a
negated "outside" into anything that isn't an "outside", including a statue
of an orangutan made out of white chocolate with rainbow sprinkles.  How do
you negate a noun in English?  A word for "inside" is actually already on
my own list, and has been for a while (ever since A. Appleyard started
coming up with his millions of prepositional suffixes intead of looking
at nouns like "bIng" and "Dung" as examples).  A few other
directional/positional words would also be helpful, I imagine.

~mark

Back to archive top level