tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 13 11:42:45 1994

Requesting help!

 uu> From: "William H. Martin" <ur-valhalla!jm.acs.virginia.edu!whm2m>
 > (I'm not sure what your first sentence means.  "When I live nine
 > years", but is the qoHna' the subject of that phrase?  "When I, the
 > definite fool, live nine years..."?  Then, "my father has died (small
 > death? death bone?)."  What am I missing?)

 uu> I should have said, {Hut DIS vIyInpu'DI' qoHna' HeghHom Heghpu'
 uu> vavwI'}, "When I had lived nine years, my father had died a
 uu> true fool's insignificant death." {qoHna'} was part of a
 uu> noun-noun possessive construction with the object of {HoHpu'}.
 uu> I'm not sure my original was WRONG, but the {-pu'} added to
 uu> {vIyInDI'} does make the timing a little clearer.

It's sometimes hard for me to determine whether a noun is part of a noun-noun
construction, and when one is the object of the main verb and the other is the
subject of the subordinate/relative/purpose clause.   However, *I* think that
the above is clearer than the original.

 > ... Your mother would rather feed _you_ to the _gagh!_

 uu> She often tried, bless her. DuHoHbe' ghu' vaj HoSlIj ghur.

The sign of a truly loving mother, that she cares enough for her child to
teach him thus.

Qob

... "chomuv." - rIqer  "qatoy'neS" - worv

Back to archive top level