tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 11 11:41:59 1994

Re: Hallmark Commercial

jIHvo':

>> I've gotten you all a gift.
>> tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
>> [that last word actually sounded more like {ja'juq}, as pronounced on TNG
>> (that is, the /j/ pronounced like the /s/ in 'measure').  Note the
incorrect
>> prefix.]

charghwI'vo':

>Actually, common usage is to have the prefix point to the
>indirect object while an explicit noun expresses the direct
>object. While years back, I had a hard time with {qajatlh}, I
>finally had it drilled through my bony ridge that the prefix
>can point to the indirect object, in which case, {tlhIHvaD}
>seems surprisingly redundent, but {SaSuqpu'} is not all that
>unexpected.

I had completely forgotten about this.  It seems very odd, and likely
something I'd never use.  So, for example, if I wanted to say "I am speaking
Klingon to you," I could come out with {tlhIngan Hol qajatlh}?  Seems to go
against all my gut feelings.  What is the source for {qajatlh}?  Is it canon,
or is this a concensus reached on the list here?  [I'm not questioning your
memory or judgment, charghwI', I'm just puzzled].

>> It even has working lights!
>> Qapqu' wovpu' ........ Hovmey
>
>Could that have been {Qapqu' wovqu' Hovmey}? "The stars are
>very bright; they very much work!" It would explain the
>existence of {Hovmey} and {wov?u'}, and given that he has not
>yet revealed a noun for "light" yet, {Hovmey} would do as well
>as anything else. {HovHommey} might have done better...

There's another word missing from the line, which I just cannot discern.
 Upon further listening and reflection, I can offer this additional
information.  The Klingon says {Qapqu'}, and then a long-enough pause to
consider it an independent sentence: "It (emphatic) works!"  (perhaps "they
work!" ).  Then, what *sounds* like {wovpu' noch'a' Hovmey} (and I must
emphasize, that {noch'a'} is nearly impossible to hear; I went through the
lexicon (AKD) searching for a possible match to what he said).  I've listened
to it around 30 times, charghwI', and I am certain he said {wovpu'} and not
{wovqu'}.  But of course, what he says and what he means are vastly different
animals.  I *suppose* Okrand could have constructed {noch'a' Hovmey} for
"lights," in this case the particular lights visible on the outside of the
Bird of Prey, but it seems awfully obscure for a construction.  And consider
too, that usually when Okrand needs a noun for something, he just uses the
verb form if it exists (a real Proechellian, Okrand).  I hope we can get some
official copy, either from Hallmark, Okrand, whatever, on what this is
supposed to be.  It'll be fun to see how close (or more likely, far) I am to
understanding this spoken Klingon.

>Sorry that I sent that one off before thanking Holtej for his
>excellent work in writing down the Klingon from the Hallmark
>commercial. Getting your act together to tape it and then
>transcribe it was a real accomplishment. batlh Data', jupwI'!

I think "excellent" is a bit generous, but I thank you for the sentiment!
 Had I been more experienced or persistent, I might have been able to pull
off those last three lines, but, as I'm sure all know by now, Real Life (tm)
is very demanding right now.  (Someone want to come over and change some
diapers for a while?)

--Holtej

Back to archive top level