tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 08 21:51:04 1994

Re: -choHmoH

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> I also thought about it a little more; considering ways to explain my point
> of view better.  Let's try again.
>
> "-choH" implies a change of status.  "-moH" implies causation.  The example
> given of "pa' HurghmoH toy'wI'" to me implies that the servant was causing
> the room to *be* dark, not necessarily to *become* dark...
>
> The sentence "pa' HurghchoHmoH toy'wI'" means that I'm talking about the
> servant's causing the room to *become* dark.  He did something that changed
> its status to darkness.  He may or may not be maintaining that darkness;
> the sentence doesn't preclude either...
> The servant effected a change in the
> room's status, or if you like the servant caused the room to undergo a
> change in status.
>
> This is more or less what I said before; how does it strike you?  Agree?
> Disagree?  Don't understand?  Want more doughnuts?

This pretty much agrees with what I was suggesting and
contrasts with what the others were suggesting. They were
saying that {-choHmoH} indicated a greater DEGREE of change,
which is very different from what either you or I are saying.
(am saying?)

My interpretation at this point is that ~mark and I both are
suggesting that {-choHmoH} adds to an intransitive verb the
sense that the subject is causing, was causing, or will cause a
change of state of the object to the state indicated by the
verb. There is no implication about any continued causal link
between the subject and object once the state is changed. There
may well be such a link, but that is not indicated by the verb
with {-choHmoH}.

{-moH} alone implies that there is, was, or will be a causal
link between the subject and object being in the condition of
the verb. There is no implication that the subject caused the
change of state to the condition of the verb, though this is
highly likely, but there is definitely a causal link in
reference to its ongoing state.

If Krankor opens a door, then Holtej holds it open while the
rest of their regiment marches through it, you might say:

lojmIt poSchoHmoH Qanqor 'ej 'oH poSmoH Holtej.

> ~mark

charghwI'

Back to archive top level