tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 08 11:48:41 1994

Re: Cut off message

> (indeed, some people would dispute that
> "It is X that..." is a topicalisation as opposed to a focalisation). If
> anything is to be written up on topicalisation in HolQeD, these facts are
> pertinent. Indeed, I think they're very pertinent to why phrases like
> verengan'e' pu' vIngev have not been discussed before.

I would argue that above construction is a cleft.  (pseudocleft, whatever).

> Now, I'll freely admit that there's an obvious implication here: "therefore
> I'm better than Krankor". Which I may or may not think, but in any case,
> *I* won't write up anything on this for HolQeD, because I don't have the
> time to get involved in this kind of tussle; and I suggest, instead,
> that if they so desire, Krankor and Holtej work on something together.

Erum um, do you mean work on something to do with focus, topics, and/or
clefts; or, about whether you're better than Krankor?  (Not meant as a joke,
it's really not clear to me.  My impression from reading your paragraph
suggests the latter, but I can't imagine why you'd suggest a pairing of me
and Krankor for such a, well, non-linguistic task.)   From what I've seen
over the years, any friction between Nick and Krankor is more perceived than
real, and has less to do with personal feelings than with differing
grammatical opinions.  I guess it comes down to balancing the IDIC philosophy
with the need for structure and authority.

--A puzzled Holtej

Back to archive top level