tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 08 02:30:45 1994

No Subject

charghwI' writes

>It looks like most of my response to Nick's post was cut off by
>my mailer. Just as well. I was in a rather unpleasant mood and
>I was somewhat disturbed by Nick's suggestions that we form a
>sort of revoution against Okrand and Krankor and take the
>language on as our own. I also didn't gain any respect for Nick
>for his unnecessary flame of Krankor, referring to his use of a
>dictionary instead of a linguistic text.

jIQochbe'!
I have always looked on tlhIngan Hol research as an exercize in archeology.
We must discover what has been made and knowing that use it to the
best of our ability.
ONe person on the list who suggested we creat a suffix *-lo'* to
indicate something is a tool.  We are also familiar with Mr. Proechels
efforts to transform the language.
Clearly there are frustrations arise when
dealing with a book when you want an encyclapidia but getting
creative about the language IS NOT OUR JOB!!!!!!

>Basically, I do respect Nick's skills, but if this is the best
>he can do with his credentials, I'm not impressed. I personally
>prefer consensus over flame wars, and I think that changes in
>the language can occur with everyone's consent, especially as
>we gain even limited access to Okrand.

Ditto. Nick is a genius in my eyes though I am constantly frustrated by the
slams I hear (and feel) against Krankor.

>1 Declare Guido right and Nick wrong.
>2 Declare Nick right and Guido wrong.
>3 Avoid the whole topic altogether.
>4 Allow both of them to do as they wish.

>He didn't list the possibility that someone might come up with
>a better idea altogether.

>jIH lugh law' SoH lugh puS qar'a'?

    majQa'!

--
David Barron || [email protected]  ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
   Klingon Language Postal Course       ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level