tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 21 10:28:17 1994

Re: jay'

According to Craig Altenburg:

> >>     lab     transmit data (away from a place)
> >>     lI'     transmit data (to a place)
> >
> >...The
> >wording in TKD is strange, but most folks agree that {lab}
> >means to send or upload. {lI'} means to receive or download.
> >

> When using these verbs does the direct object describe the nature
> of the data being transfered or does it identify the other party?

The answer to your question is "yes". Either can be the case.
Because of the way the Klingon mixes direct and indirect
objects, it would be quite acceptable to say:

jabbI'IDlIj qalI'rup. DaH jabbI'IDlIj HIlab!

"I am ready to recieve from you your message. Now, send me your
message!"

Equally acceptable and more grammatically explicit, you could
instead say:

SoHvo' jabbI'IDlIj vIlI'rup. jIHvaD jabbI'IDlIj yIlab!

> Qeygh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level