tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 19 09:56:28 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: Hoch, et al.

According to Mark E. Shoulson:
> >If you wanted to say "everyone of the planet", you'd say yuQ Hoch.  If
> >you were talking about everyone on several planets, you could still say
> >yuQ Hoch -- but the person speaking would need to make sure the listener
> >is definitely clear that the topic of the conversation was several planets.
> >If they were "switching gears", they'd need to pick it out specifically...
> >ie. "yuQmey Hoch"...
>
> I'd go the other way.  "Hoch" can mean "everybody" but only when the
> context restricts the universality to people.  To say "All the people of
> the planet", I'd say "yuQ ngan Hoch" or "yuQ ghot Hoch".

I'm responding to this only because ~mark disagreed with my
original interpretation on the use of {Hoch}, and even then
only to assure people that I'm not grumbling to myself about
anything. ~mark has good points and I basically agree with him.
On further thought (especially with naQ as an option) he has
convinced me that expressing an explicit plural is unnecessary,
though not wrong. {yuQ Hoch} means "All the planets". {yuQ naQ}
means "All of the planet".

charghwI'

Back to archive top level