tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 16 19:29:47 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: tachDaq 'el wa' tlhIngan

According to Terry Donnelly:

> Thanks for the useful comments.  One quibble: to render the phrase "I've
> never seen (such a thing) before", charghwI' writes
>
> > I'd tend to say {not wanI'vam rurbogh wanI''e vIleghpu'}.
>
> This is a tad wordy for me.  How about simply {not wanI' rap vIlegh}?

It is the kind of translation that would cause most readers to
stumble, but then figure out. Using {rap} to mean an adjectival
"similar" is probably stretching things a bit, but since there
is no closer word that I can think of, this will do. I never
see the same event." You might at least keep {vIleghpu'}, since
the seeing that you have never done would have been complete at
the time setting of the statment. Otherwise, you could be
implying that you WILL never see the same event.

> By the way, is there a word for "joke"?

I think ~mark has used {lut tlhaQ}, and if memory serves me,
Nick has used {tlhaQwI'}, though I would personally tend to
think of that as a comedian as much as a joke. I favor ~mark's,
just because it is a little less ambiguous.

> - Terry

charghwI'

Back to archive top level