tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 16 12:59:40 1994

KLBC: Re: Hoch, et al.

In the beating-a-dead-horse department:

Looking back over some recent postings and the article by d'Armond Speers
in HolQeD 3:3, it seems that there is fundamental agreement that the N-N
construction expresses *something* more than simple possession (Speers'
GENITIVE non-possessive); I still think a case can be made for extending
this to a true attributive, but I'd need lots more canonical examples to
prove it.  So, I'm bowing to concensus on the placement of {Hoch} to mean
"all", and withdrawing completely my suggestions about {nuq, 'Iv, latlh}
and {vay'}.

But one question: if {Hoch} comes last in a N-N construction to mean "all
(of)", shouldn't the first noun be plural?  Does {yuQ Hoch} = "the entire
planet" and {yuQmey Hoch} = "all the planets"?

- Terry

: Terry Donnelly       : bIvangtaHvIS         :
: Maplewood Pub. Lib.  : yIyoHvIpQo' 'ej      :
: 7601 Manchester Ave. : yIDoHQo' -           :
: St. Louis, MO 63143  : Hoch yIn 'oH ngong'e':
: (314) 781-2174       :     R. W. Emerson    :