tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 13 08:44:15 1994

Re: {-ghach} and HolQeD

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 19:11:35 -0800

>On Wed 12 Oct 94 05:29, "Amy West" writes:

>Would it be so terribly wrong to put it as:

>tlhIngan quv law' jIH, tlhIngan quv puS SoH.

>It's not really a comparison, but a "I am this and you are that"
>type of thing.

But remember that the comparisons don't follow the usual rules.  I don't
think you can say that "tlhIngan quv law'" means "a very honored Klingon";
it means, to me, "many honored Klingons".  Your sentence translates rather
nicely as "I am many honored Klingons, you are a few honored Klingons."
Not quite the meaning we were hoping for, since very few singular people
(who'd use jIH) are many or even few Klingons.  Maybe you could pull a
stunt like "tlhIngan quvqu' jIH tlhIngan quv neH SoH" (or quvqu'be'?) but
it wouldn't carry the meaning very unambiguously, I fear.

>Amy

>... Dochvetlh SoH 'e' vISov 'ach nuq jIH?

Hee.  Pretty good.

~mark

Back to archive top level