tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 08 09:41:16 1994

Re: K3

> qSeroHS vayn had some nice things to say (in Klingon) about my program, K3,
> which I imagine he picked up from ftp.kli.org.  The post is timely, since
> just yesterday I was demonstrating the current beta version, 4.0b, to the
> Association of Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA), in Columbia, MD.
>  It was a little awkward, addressing a room full of computational linguists
> and professional MT developers, themselves debuting the cutting-edge MT
> technology, with my modest little system.
>
> The talk was successful, and well-received.  The crowd enjoyed the
> light-hearted approach I took; I was clearly not trying to belittle their
> very serious work, just demonstrating that it's still possible to have some
> fun in this sometimes too serious world.
>
> There was even a USA Today article written about me and my parser, which was
> in yesterday's (10/6) USA Today, LIFE section (Home technologies).  Here's
> what the article had to say:
>
> Worf-Speak
> Now that relations with Klingons have warmed to the point where they're
> serving on Federation starships, it wouldn't hurt to get to know their
> language a little better.  _The Klingon Dictionary_ has been around for
> years, but the Klingon Machine Translation Project is much more cutting edge.
>
> The computer program, which translates Klingon to English, has been available
> on the Internet for a couple of years.  The latest version, written by
> Georgetown University graduate student d'Armond Speers, will be demonstrated
> at this week's Association for Machine Translation in the Americas meeting in
> Columbia, Md.
>
> Linguist Marc Okrand created the language for the movie _Star Trek III: The
> Search for Spock_.  The dictionary hit print the next year and was revised in
> 1992.  "Klingon is such an unusual language.  It's designed to be not like
> any other language," Speers says.  "So I designed the (translation) program
> for my own education."
>
> Speers gets fan mail from people who discover the program.  And no doubt it
> comes in handy for the Klingon Language Institute, which claims 750 members.
>  The program is available free at ftp.kli.org in the file
> pub/Software/pojwi30.zip.
>
> ---end---
>
> (Any typos there are mine)
>
> Well, folks, that's it!  It was pretty exciting being interviewed by this
> fellow.  He called me at the linguistics department, and left a message with
> the secretary, which in itself created quite a stir!  When I left for the
> day, I told her, "If any other major national publications call for me, give
> them my home number!"   It was a real hoot.
>
> Lawrence, I hope I haven't breached protocol or anything, with the mention of
> the ftp site in the paper.  I was given a table to exhibit the program after
> my presentation, and I had my handouts, KLI brochures, and a handfull of
> HolQeD's to sell (and they did!), thanks to Lawrence (the check's in the
> [...]
No breach of protocol at all. The whole point of having the ftp site is
spread knowledge of Klingon. My only concern regarding things like K3
involve the legality of such programs, and worries about infringement of
copyright. I have no doubt that trying to SELL such a program would cause
major hassles. Giving it away (i.e., making it available via ftp) should
not. Mind you, I've only managed to convince myself of this more liberal
interpretation quite recently. We'll see what happens I suppose...

I'm also very pleased to hear your paper went well, and your table
received so much attention. Of course I always like hearing that more
fliers go out, and issues of HolQeD get sold. :)

Happy to help, and don't be so sure your 15 minutes are up. Now that
you've worked your way into the spotlight don't think they'll let you
hide again so soon.

Lawrence

--

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level