tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 08 04:46:44 1994

re: Boiling blood

|CharghwI' wrote:
|
| Modern Klingon grammar would probably prefer:
|
| pubbe'jaj 'IwlIj 'ej jachjaj 'oH.
|
| I intentionally put the boiling part first so nobody would
| mistake it for a misstated traditional toast. If I say this in
| a bar, I'd expect to get a few suspicious glances, then they
| would decide that I was harmless and continue drinking. If I
| said your earlier example, I would not expect to remain
| conscious long enough to register their response...

HIvqa' veqlargh

But a well timed replacement proverb may just save the day.  Thanks for the
comments, I had considered both 'ej and je but I was at work using K3 and it
doesn't distinguish between the two, so I guessed.  Since Klingons value
acuracy, that was my biggest mistake. ;-)

The examples in TKD put the subject after the verb modified with -jaj.
Besides trying not to confuse the phrase with the traditional toast, can you
actually put the verb out front and be understood?

Back to archive top level